The Diocese of Madagascar belongs to the Anglican Church of the Province of the Indian Ocean. The first Anglican missionary arrived in Madagascar in 1864. In 1874 the diocese of Madagascar was founded. It was divided into three in 1969, and two more dioceses were created in 2003. The number of Anglicans in Madagascar began to grow rapidly as of 1991 (Anglican Decade of Evangelism) and is estimated at close to 500,000. The church is open to cooperation and social activities: dispensaries, schools, orphanages, training centres and various types of development work. It is committed ecumenically and endeavours to put its talents at the service of the ecumenical movement. The clergy are trained at St Paul’s College, near the capital.
The Centre for Global Mission is currently working with the Anglican Diocese of Madagascar to establish the translation of the Moore College PTC material in MALAGASY. In recent years, through partnership with the Sydney Anglican Diocese, clergy in Madagascar have benefitted from training using the FRENCH translation of the PTC notes. Inspired by this training, one of the clergy has already translated one subject in MALAGASY (Introduction to the Bible). The Centre for Global Mission is looking for translators and funds to continue the translation work. Having the training material in their native language will help the Diocese to expand their ongoing training of clergy.